At Your Tomorrow we believe in responsible sourcing, ethical manufacturing and products designed for life.
This cushion cover:
- Features weavings by an all female co-operative in Guatemala
- Incorporates linen that uses 5-20 times less water and energy than cotton
- Is finished with handmade Australian Merino Wool tassels
- Employs newly arrived Australians in the manufacture of the cushion covers
- Paid the artisans a living wage for their time invested in making this small batch item for you
* Fully reversible cushion: Side 1 - Fair trade Guatemalan artisan Back Strap loomed textile and washed Eco Friendly linen. Side 2 - Washed Eco Friendly linen
• 4 handmade Australian wool tassels
* Fits 40 x 65cm cushion insert (insert not included. I use and recommend IKEA Fjådrar inserts- they're super comfy, filled with duck feather: a by-product of the poultry industry and really cost effective)
* Hidden zip
* Dry Clean only
* Because of the handmade nature, each weaving is unique, no two are the same- awesome huh! If you are buying multiples, it's best to buy at the same time so your cushions can be selected from the same batch of weavings
* We can ship anywhere, so please email us for a quote hello [!at] yourtomorrow.world
WHY are the Ikat cushions more expensive? Ikat takes dying and weaving to a whole new level! The artisan has already got a design in mind, and then individually hand knots the design into the undyed yarn BEFORE the 100% natural, organic dying process takes place.
Once dyed and dried, the yarn is then ‘unknotted’ and woven into a lienzo. I’ve seen it and I still can’t believe it’s possible! It’s like magic...
The feature textile is fair-trade and 100% cotton. It's been hand woven on a traditional back-strap loom by women artisans in Guatemala. The artisans weave 2 meters lengths, lienzos, at a time, which takes about 3 days or 24 hours: the piece used on each cushion takes about 5 hours. Due to their handmade nature, no two weavings are exactly the same, which makes them all the more special.
The Premium Linen is grown and woven in Europe, using 5 - 20 times less water and energy than cotton. This fabric is produced by a member of the elite group of European producers of linen: CELC and has a valid Oeco-Tex Standard 100 certificate. No substances which would be recognized as suspicious by the European Chemical Agency (ECHA) or would require an admission procedure are to be found in the fabric.
Is done by a not-for-profit social enterprise organisation, that supports recently arrived young Australians by providing training, work opportunities and a connection to their new community. The workshop is located in Melbourne Australia.
Small batch - There is only enough of the Guatemalan textile to make 5 cushions. From placing the order, to receiving the finished lienzo here in Melbourne, it's at least 3 months process.
Your Tomorrow. Where every product has a history that nurtures the future.
improve / nurture / celebrate / elevate / honour / integrate
// improves lives by incorporating materials that are fair trade, create a sustainable income, providing access to training, education and healthcare. Almost 1/3 of the purchase price goes back to the all women weaving co-operative in Guatemala and the social enterprise group who manufacture in Melbourne, Australia
// nurtures our world by using materials that have a low carbon footprint, use natural, organic materials and use less of our precious natural resources in their production
// celebrates the skill and beauty of handmade
// elevates marginalised groups, artisans and entrepreneurial individuals by providing market access and demand
// honours traditions by supporting, appreciating and protecting knowledge and skills handed down through the generations
If you have any questions, please ask.
1-3 business days
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information